Sunday, January 18, 2009

Farewell Tom



Tom passed away around 6:56 a.m. Sunday morning, January 18th. He was surrounded by his family.

Starting probably Friday, he became unresponsive. Our hospice nurse initially estimated that he may have a week or two left, but then called back later that afternoon to say he had been thinking about Tom all day and that maybe it would be best to call Annie and have her come this weekend. He was thinking it was more like days nows. We called Annie Friday afternoon and she booked her flight from Portland for the next day. She arrived here around 8:30 Saturday night and not even 12 hours later Tom had passed.
I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we all feel so lucky to have known this kind and gentle man. I could not have asked for a better dad and I do not say that lightly. A few months ago he wrote Annie and I a letter, something he had wanted to do while he was still able to. He told us that he wanted us to know that we had given him everything he could have hoped for. I can't think of any other way to put my feelings about him. He really has given me everything I could ever have hoped for and will continue to do so. I told him at the time that regardless if I had a week, a month, a year, or 10 years left with him, I would always feel like the luckiest daughter in the world. And I do.

I take comfort in knowing that he will live on in all of the people's lives that he has touched. I am who I am because of him and I believe whatever impact, large or small, Tom has had on your lives, he will live on in you too.

The funeral will most likely be this Saturday, January 24th. We will post more details as they become available.

We cannot begin to express our gratitude for your caring and support. It has been amazing to know we are surround by such love. Thank you all so much.

23 comments:

  1. We are so very sad for your lose. My heart just aches for what you must be going through as a family. I feel bleased to have been able to visit with you and Tom yesterday along with other art department members. Tom was a gentle giant and I feel thankful that he was a part of my life. Please let us know if you need anything. Jim, Jessica and Pat Binder

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all so sad. Mark and I and the girls have such fond memories of Tom. The years in Bay View have always remained special to us. We were all lucky to have known Tom. love to all. Sue, Mark, Anna, Kate, Beth, Amy Rusch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about Tom's passing and the loss of such a wonderful man. Tom was so kind and gentle. I know he was surrounded by a lot of love!

    Take care and let us know if we can help in any way.

    Love, Julie Schaller

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a blessing to be with Tom, his family and friends this weekend. Such a kind, empathetic, gentle man. A true friend who has been like a brother. He will be missed by all,

    Bob De Vita

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is rare to have close friendships that endure for decades, despite the many miles between. To have been able to be with Tom and Maureen and the family this weekend was to share in the sacredness of the intimate connections that bind us. Tom led a beautiful life as a gentle soul with trademark good humor, kindness, insight, and compassion. We already miss him and will carry him in our hearts. Love to Maureen, Annie, Kate, Jeff & Pete -- Jean De Vita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Maureen and Family,
    I am here with you. My heart is aching so much right now. As the tears fall down my cheeks, I am embracing you and holding you in my arms and in my heart. I was with some of the Cleghorn gang last night, Betsy, Carol, Ruth, and Sue, and I kept thinking about you. I wanted to drive out to your place, but my daughter, Chevonn, was waiting at home for me. She left to go back to school today and she was filled with sadness and anxiety, so I rushed home to her. Then again today, as I drove back from the airport, I wanted to drive to your house, but felt it wasn't the right day, so I went home, and now I have read your sad news. I knew in my heart that Tom only had a few days left. I am so blessed to have known him and I am so blessed to know all of you. I know my Bryan is showing him around to all the best spots in Heaven right now. I'm sure they'll be the best of pals and they'll have some great stories to swap about brain tumors, having 2 daughters, and living with crazy artistic wives. Boy, Maureen, we really do have a lot in common.
    I LOVE YOU! I AM HERE FOR YOU! PLEASE CALL ON ME!
    Your friend, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts and prayers are with you all :-)
    May your loving memories help you to heal and know that your husband/dad is at peace and watching over yo always.
    Maureen....we're all ready to welcome you when you can rejoin us at Sherman.
    Love and hugs,
    Kathy P (Maureen's across the hall Obama fan/buddy!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Maureen and Family,
    I am so sorry! Watching you and Tom, I always knew you had one of those rare and truly wonderful relationships. Now, reading Kate's words I know he had that kind relationship with his daughters, also. Mike and I are grateful to have also known Tom.
    With love,
    Sue Carey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Maureen and family, I am so sorry to hear about Tom. Maureen, my prayers and thoughts are with you. I will miss all those letters to the editor! God bless all of you! With sincere sympathy.... Bill Garton (Little Red School)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mareen and family,
    What heavy, sad news. My thoughts are with you. If it is any comfort, it sounds like Tom was still Tom in personality and presence up until the end. How wonderful your loving family was there and supporting him in this leg of his journey.
    With warmth and love,
    Chris Yocca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Maureen and family,
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Take care of yourselves during this time, and know that your have the prayers and support of everyone who knows you.
    Love and Peace,
    Carole Galloy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Maureen and Family,
    I am saddened to hear of Tom's passing. I am keeping you in my prayers. Tom was a great coworker and nurse, always caring about his patients and going the extra mile. His kind, calm manner was appreciated by many.
    Karlene Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm thinking of your family, not sure which words to use, nothing can take away your pain. Just know my thoughts are with you as you endure this difficult time. You have a beautiful family and friends to lean on - take advantage of us!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are so very sorry and send our love and prayers to you. How beautiful that he was surrounded by so much love in his passing. You could always see the love he had for his family in the quiet sparkle in his eyes everytime he looked at you all. May the enormous love he had for you be your strength now.
    Love,
    Deb, Patrick, and family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate,

    Your eulogy was beutifully written. Your words were in harmony with the memories we shared with your Dad.

    I'm not sure if you knew that your Dad and I car pooled to UWM in the early 70's. We really didn't need to since the price of gas was well below a dollar a gallon but we enjoyed our conversations that would usually get into politics. Never an argument since we both shared similar view points. Your Dad's editorials and support of what he believed in are a further example of his profile in life.

    Your Mom "Maureen" always brought up stories about your Dad's childhood or his "Ants in the Pants" after a parade on KK as we were walking back to Indian Ave. Even though your Dad was at the brunt of some of your Mom's stories your Dad was a great sport. His laughter was very much contagious.

    I could go on and on but they will remain with me for future enjoyment and they will be enjoyed again and again.

    All our Love, Tim and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maureen,

    I know it hurts! I am there for you and will share and help you in anyway I can. Believe me I know how you feel.
    All my love to you and your family.

    Cheryl Brady

    ReplyDelete
  17. Skroski Family,
    Know that you are in our prayers and thoughts as you go through these tough times. Tom was a kind gentleman and will be missed by many. Know that I am here for you if there is a need.
    Ruth Huse

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Maureen,Kate, Annie, Jeff and Pete,
    The tender loving care of Tom we witnessed this weekend as we joined you in saying goodbye to Tom reflects all his caring ways coming back to him. I will always remember Tom providing care to others with quiet patience, kindness, humor, diligence, tenderness and love. I am proud to have known such a sensitive, funny and wonderful person, the memories of him will not die, nor will his goodness diminish but grow despite his absence. The world is richer for having witnessed his presence.
    Craig and Patti White Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  19. We will bring a large relish plate and a dessert dish.

    Tim and Sue White/Aaron and Melissa White

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maureen & Family,
    It was my pleasure and joy to work so many years with Tom at Luther Midelfort. He told many a good story, but the unending laughter and kindness will stay with me forever. Thanks for the memories Tom, you rocked this world!
    Much love,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did you not feel this instant calm when you where in Tom's presence. He seemed to speak in this low hum that was so reassuring you immediatly felt all was right. When he was listening, he really listened. Even in death he humbles me. It seemed that in his heart it was never about him, it was about the person or people he was with. Ted

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maureen and family,
    Remember to call on us all at Sherman. You would do it for us, we are just a phone call away. I am going back to Sherman tomorrow and we will do 200 servings of dessert. So that part will be taken care of. Tom is in heaven and its the best place. No more pain or agony. Take care and we will see you Saturday. Ellen Yule

    ReplyDelete
  23. I only got to meet Tom once, but knowing Annie as well as I do, she is just further evidence of what a wonderful life he led, and what a wonderful legacy he leaves behind him. Nothing could be a better tribute than having his wonderful, loving family gathered to celebrate him.

    All my love and prayers,
    Leisha Adams

    ReplyDelete